Friday, May 16, 2008

Faith, Works, and Chastity

"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? ...Faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead. Indeed someone might say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works. You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble." --James 2:14,17-19

It struck me in Mass that this is very much what is so lacking in the realm of chastity. So many "believe" in the good of chastity, and yet in actuality they do not. How can you tell? The way they dress, the way they act-- is it respectful of the dignity of their own person? Is it respectful of the dignity of others? How do they speak? Do they laugh at crude jokes? We must not merely pay lip service to this virtue, but truly live it and allow it to penetrate our beings. Even the demons know that chastity is glorifying to God and important for our souls-- that is why they attack it! And yet we so often shrug it off as not a big deal. We are talking here about the dignity of human persons. We are talking about the attainment of eternal life. Face it: it is a big deal.

No comments: