Sunday, February 3, 2008

"And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart." --Luke 2:19

When I first read the gospel of Luke, I was struck by the frequency with which we are told that Mary "kept all these things in her heart" (Luke 2:51). We are not told her thoughts and ponderings, but they are referred to frequently, and in many cases out of the blue. At the time, I brushed it aside in favor of reflecting on the miracles etc, not yet understanding how to pray over scripture. But, interestingly enough, I "kept it in my heart".

Recently, I have begun to see the beauty and wisdom in this simple seemingly "tacked on" verse. Women are often seen as loving to talk and share their inner most secrets with each other-- but I was beginning to be tired of sharing so much of myself with others, and this verse kept entering my mind. And when I took it to prayer, I began to feel that this was in fact the secret to True Womanhood. It is written in Woman's body to receive, conceive, nuture, grow, and then bear forth new life. It is the same with all thoughts and experiences she is the recipient of. False Woman knows the end- to bear forth- and pours everything out, but there has been no gestation; she has thrown away her feminine gift. There is so much fruit to be had through support from others during pregnancy, and sharing the new life you have brought forth, but gestation must take place within you. It is not for the others to carry the life to term!

With Woman as the archetype for mankind in relation to God, Man too then must take this advice "to heart", and learn how to conceive divine life within from Woman, Mary.

No comments: